A lot can happen in just a small moment. You can be involved in a collision with another vehicle or fall to the ground in an instant, sometimes leaving you to suffer severe, life-altering injuries. It isn’t uncommon during these life-altering instances that head trauma occurs, or in part accompanies the myriad of other injuries sustained during an extreme accident. Head trauma, commonly referred to as TBI, or traumatic brain injury, can create a severe onset of cognitive or physiological complications, which is why it is important to consult an experienced Rockford traumatic brain injury lawyer to represent you and your legal rights. If you have received injuries in the Rockford, Illinois area, we will fight to get you the compensation you deserve, giving you peace of mind while you recover and monetary retribution to help in the healing process.
If you have suffered, or are currently suffering, a traumatic brain injury (TBI) or any other type of injury due to another’s negligence, you can seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering damages through a personal injury claim. To do all of this and ensure you are getting the most out of your claim, it is advisable to hire legal representation as to cover all of you bases, but remember to seek medical attention first and foremost, even if you do not feel that your injury is severe. A TBI can have no physical symptoms, making it easy to overlook. If your TBI is not treated promptly, however, it can become worse and lead to severe complications.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
There are many different types of traumatic brain injury that an accident victim can suffer. They are:
- Concussion. Concussions are fairly mild TBIs, but they can have a lifelong impact on a victim. A concussion can occur any time the head suffers trauma, such as an impact with the ground or a whiplash injury. They are the most common type of brain injury reported. It can take up to a year to recover from a concussion;
- Penetration. When an object penetrates the skull and enters the brain, the victim can suffer a severe TBI that may even result in death. A common example of this is something such as gun violence, though there are others;
- Contusion. A contusion is a bruise on the brain. They develop as the result of impact to the head;
- Coup-contrecoup. When the head suffers a traumatic blow and the brain slams into the interior wall of the skull, the brain can suffer a contusion at both the site of impact and the site where the brain hit the skull wall; and
- Diffuse axonal injury. When the head suffers shaking or a severe change in direction, as can happen in a car accident, structures in the brain can tear. This can result in permanent brain damage, coma, or death.
Complications of a Traumatic Brain Injury
Traumatic brain injuries can lead to the following complications:
- Cognitive decline;
- Persistent headaches;
- Deep vein thrombosis; and
Having your TBI treated promptly and correctly following your accident is the best way to reduce your chance of suffering from further complications.
Work with an Experienced Rockford Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
A traumatic brain injury can have a devastating effect on you and your family. If you have suffered a TBI or any other type of injury in an accident caused by another party’s negligence, consult with an experienced Rockford traumatic brain injury lawyer to seek compensation for your damages. To learn more, contact our team at Tuite Law today to schedule your free consultation and case evaluation with our firm.