Suffering an injury at the hands of another is an unsettling experience, to put it mildly. When you have been seriously injured and are facing both economic and noneconomic losses, one of the best things that you can do for yourself is to pursue a personal injury claim. Filing a personal injury claim can yield monetary damages, and may help you to get a sense of closure and justice.
Personal injury claims are best navigated with the counsel of a legal professional, but not all personal injury lawyers are the same. Here are some tips on how to choose the right personal injury lawyer for you–
Questions to Ask Yourself When Thinking About the Right Personal Injury Lawyer
You should consider the following when thinking about whom to hire for legal representation:
- What area of the law does the lawyer primarily focus on? It’s important that you seek legal counsel from a lawyer who has experience handling cases that are relevant to yours. For example, if you’ve been in a car crash, the help of a divorce lawyer probably wouldn’t be very valuable.
- Where is the lawyer located? During a personal injury claim, you will likely meet with your lawyer numerous times. For this reason, choosing someone who is located near you can be extremely convenient.
- Does the lawyer have any customer reviews you can read? Some lawyers openly publish client testimonials, and there are also numerous lawyer review sites online that you can peruse. Check and see what others are saying about working with any lawyer whom you’re considering.
- Is the lawyer in good standing with the Illinois State Bar Association? In order to check whether or not a lawyer is in good standing, you can use the Illinois State Bar Association’s online lawyer lookup tool.
Questions to Ask Your Prospective Lawyer
In addition to asking the above, you should also schedule a free case consultation with any lawyers you’re considering and ask the following–
- Who will be working on my case? Some lawyers will hand cases off to others in their firm who aren’t as experienced, or may not even have a law degree. Make sure the lawyer you hire is who will be working on your case.
- What cases like mine have you handled? It’s not just enough to find a lawyer who focuses on the same area of practice that is relevant to you – you also want to hire someone who has experience representing clients who have been involved in accidents or suffered injuries similar to yours. Also, ask about the lawyer’s success rate in these cases.
- How do you charge? Finally, personal injury lawyers should always work on a contingency fee basis, which means that they don’t get paid if your claim isn’t successful. If a lawyer tries to charge you any other way, run the other direction.
Schedule Your Free Consultation with the Office of Tuite Law Today
To schedule your free, no-obligation case consultation with the Rockford personal injury lawyers at the firm of Tuite Law, please call us or send us a message. We are happy to sit down with you and talk about your recovery options at your convenience.