Experienced legal representation for the injured and disabled.
Personal injury refers to any variety of injuries or death that occurred because of the negligence of another person or party. Under the law, if an injury victim is able to demonstrate that another entity was legally responsible for an accident, the person, their insurance, and/or others associated with the accident can be held liable for compensating medical costs, property damage, loss of wages, and much more. As Rockford personal injury attorneys, our job is to help injury victims claim the compensation they deserve under the law when the fault of an accident lies with the other party. Find out more about personal injury claims, how we will handle your case, and why you should hire us as your legal representation after an accident.
Different Types of Personal Injury in Rockford
Simply being involved in an accident is not always enough to legally claim personal injury. A person can only make an injury claim in Rockford if the accident was caused by the carelessness of another person and the accident resulted in real injury. Some of the common types of injury we see as attorneys – in which we have a lot of experience – include the following:
- Auto accidents
- DUI accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Traumatic brain injury accidents
- Dog Bites
- Slip and fall accidents
- Accidents caused by defective products
- Unsafe premises accidents
- Dangerous worksite accidents
- Wrongful death
Pursuing Compensation for Your Injuries
If you or someone you love was injured or killed in an accident, it is likely that you have several concerns about medical bills, insurance claims, and how you will be able to pay for the accident. You are not legally obligated to pay for the costs of hospitalization, doctor’s visits, property damages, or funeral costs, all of being areas where we have helped others like you before. It is important that you consult with a personal injury attorney to discuss your options and pursue avenues that will help you receive compensation for all damages caused at the hands of someone else.
Illinois law provides that any person who is injured due to the fault of another is entitled to receive fair compensation for any associated monetary setbacks. These rights, among others, are afforded to those who have suffered a significant injury, including:
- compensation for reasonable and necessary medical care
- compensation for lost time or earnings
- damages for pain and suffering from the injury
- damages for loss of enjoyment of normal life experienced or likely to be experienced
These rights should alleviate a lot of your concerns if you have been involved in a personal injury. As your legal representation, we seek to claim compensation so that the burden of monetary loss, in all of its forms, doesn’t fall on you. We also fight for a fair compensation that adequately covers your pain and suffering.
Our process for handling personal injury cases is time-tested and proven to get you the best compensation amount possible. We pursue several avenues to make sure your case is heard and all of the intricacies of the law are accounted for. After formally hiring us as your legal counsel, we will follow these procedures to ensure that you receive a fair compensation amount:
- Organize and submit initial paperwork. In this step, we begin by opening claims with insurance companies (if applicable) or by drafting the paperwork for a lawsuit. This establishes with the insurance companies or individuals being sued that we have a formal complaint, allowing us to state the legal basis for our claims and detail the accident with the lawsuit’s delineated objectives. There are many other steps involved in this process, including a summons, answer, counterclaim, and much more, all of which we will handle for you as they come up.
- Gather all necessary evidence for your case. As part of your lawsuit, both sides must engage in a “fact-finding” mission to ensure complete accuracy and no surprises when trying to reach a settlement. On our end, it means finding all of the necessary documents, photographs, witnesses, and sworn statements of the person/insurance company/entity you are dealing with. It also means preparing you for a deposition (a verbally sworn statement) and any other written discoveries – all of which we will guide you through step-by-step.
- Represent you during negotiations, settlements, and court hearings. Requesting a lawyer doesn’t necessarily mean you will need to go to court. In fact, far fewer personal injury cases go to court than are settled. A settlement means both parties were able to come together to reach a negotiation that will ultimately benefit you as the injury victim. If your case indeed cannot be resolved out of court, however, we are excellent trial lawyers and will represent you in all court hearings.
- Help you claim your monetary judgements. Simply being “awarded” your compensation by settlement or through the court doesn’t necessarily mean that the other party will be able to pay it. If your compensation amount is more than a business or individual has in assets or income, it is very difficult to obtain your compensation. There are still ways to receive your judgements, however, and we will continue working with you until the full amount of your compensation is paid out duly.
It is important to remember that Illinois law also provides for strict statute of limitations (SOL), a time limit in which claims can be made for personal injuries. It is important to start this process now and early if you or a loved one has been injured in an accident.
Why Hire us as Your Rockford Personal Injury Attorneys
It is fairly obvious that the process of claiming compensation is very complicated and involved. Individuals who decide to pursue personal injury claims on their own frequently prolong the process or negotiate a much lower settlement than that for which attorneys are able to negotiate. As personal injury lawyers, we have years of experience navigating through the confusing process, and we will help you expedite your settlement. Whether we are working with insurance adjusters or other legal representatives, we will be able to represent you in every step of the process.
If you have been involved in an accident, there is no better time to speak with a personal injury attorney in Rockford than now. Call our office today for a free consultation about your injury or wrongful death case and we will get you on the right path for compensation.